Friday, September 7, 2012

Back to School Tradition

I was inspired by a post over at Simple Homeschool to begin thinking about a back to school tradition for my family.  The beginning of a homeschool year is ripe with possibilities.  It's also an opportunity to wipe the slate clean.  I decided we would start a tradition of creating Homeschool Vision Boards.  I went to the Dollar Tree and loaded up on supplies.  The weekend before school began (we start after Labor Day), we put our boards together.  We talked about our top 10 goals for the year.  We talked about our mistakes from the past.  We made amends.  But most of all, we had a good time planning for the year.

Lion Heart - my little firecracker!

Lionheart's #1 goal this homeschool year is to tackle reading. Despite believing that he "already knows how to do everything," we have both agreed to make reading progress a priority.



KingMan loves sports - can you tell?
KingMan is making nutrition and fitness a priority.  Also topping his list is time management.  I agreed to allow him to add a third sport, baseball, along with soccer and basketball, only under certain conditions: early to bed, early to rise, helps make a homeschool boy wise.  Well, that's not exactly how the saying goes, but the general idea is that I try to balance what he wants with what I feel is required.

As for mom's vision ... more on that in another post.


1 comment:

  1. Love this idea for kids. Mary Kay and all types of multilevel marketing folks use it. Why not homeschoolers? I hope to post what we come up with.

    ReplyDelete