Monday, June 6, 2011

Before There Was Mozart



I am so very thankful that we live in a city of ultra-modern libraries filled with wonderful books. I probably check out between 50-100 books each month. Imagine the joy when I stumbled upon the book Before There Was Mozart: The Story of Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George. I have a little violinist in the midst and it gave me great joy to share this inspiring story about Joseph who "overcame prejudices of his peers to become one of the finest classical musicians in all of Europe."  In addition to being an African-American violinist he wrote 14 concertos, 9 symphonies, 18 string quartets and 6 operas! This is my favorite passage from the book:




"During one performance, a young man sat among the crowd, enthralled...Brimming with inspiration, he returned home to Vienna, where he began work on his Sinfonia Concertante in E-flat Major for violin and viola. The young man was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart."




No comments:

Post a Comment