Monday, December 17, 2018

Egypt on the Potomac - Explore the History of Your City



Boys Like Adventure


I like to appeal to the natural sense of adventure male children have.  When my sons were younger, we went on field trips several times a week.  They learned so much being out and about.  Whether it was the grocery store or the post office, they never chose curriculum over an adventure.

Sadly, as children get older in homeschooling, we fall into the traditional school mindset of books and seat work over everything.  Well, it doesn't have to be that way.  Homeschooling can still be adventurous and fun, even for older homeschoolers.

In DC Public Schools, a course called DC History is required for graduation.  I actually think that's a great idea.  It's important to know the history of where you laid roots, planted seeds and watched them grow.  I would be remiss as a parent if I didn't take my sons on the Egypt on the Potomac tour of Washington, D.C., at least once.  Actually, I think it should be required every year of high school to let it really sink in.  This tour takes you around Washington, D.C., pointing out the archeology, numerology and Egyptian influence embedded in the design of the city.  No child of mine is going to walk right past history and not know it.

Meridian Hill Park (we know it as Malcolm X Park)



This semester our homeschool group, the Sankofa Homeschool Community, were blessed to take the tour with Tony Browder, author of the book, Egypt on the Potomac.  I have been on the tour before, but each time something new is activated and you gain a deeper understanding of just how much Africa plays a part in the making of our city.  If you dig deep, you'll probably find that is true for every city in these United States.


And finally, my lame attempt at a Selfie - Lol!


After taking the tour, buy the book.  You can build an entire unit study around the hidden history of our city.  For more information on the tour, visit www.ikgculturalresourcecenter.com 

Check out my new YouTube channel for footage from the trip:



79dadd018da79dbbbc1a6680c03eb1b1dbd322e3bef9b735c9


3 comments:

  1. Wow, That's so awesome. I never considered the correlation between Egypt and modern architecture.I will definitely keep my homeschooling eyes peeled from now on. It's so easy to spot Roman and Greek influence, I definitely need to read up on this so that I can point this out to my children!
    Thanks Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a worthy educational investment. Now when my children walk around their birth city, they can point out and understand the history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I wish I'd done that when I lived there. That looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete