Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A Lesson in Gratefulness



There are some days when I don't feel like lessons either.  It's especially difficult to get back into the homeschool groove after a long morning of errands and doctor's appointments.  But that doesn't mean I want the day to be a complete educational bust.  These are the days when I utilize Netflix.  Today, our lesson was about the importance of being grateful.  Neither of my sons have ever attended a traditional school. KingMan, "the teen," is rarely up before 10 a.m., and my right-brain learner is indulged to keep his learning interesting and engaging.  Heck, they can do lessons in their pajamas if they want to! These are not necessarily luxuries of a public school education.  Neither have ever experienced burning the midnight oil to prepare for a test.  Because I teach to mastery, testing isn't the core of our learning.  There is plenty of time for hot breakfast and a hot lunch.  There's art, music and if LionHeart wants to take a spin on his bike at 1:30 in the afternoon, he can.  Yet, sometimes they can take it all for granted.  So today I shared with them a documentary I stumbled upon on Netflix that brought me to tears the first time I watched it.  Heroes are what the filmmaker calls the children who are the subject of the documentary.  Heroes indeed! I asked my children how long it takes for them to get to school? When they stared at me blankly, I walked into their bedroom and began the journey.  It took me less than 6 seconds! I wondered allowed if they would appreciate school more if they had to walk for 4 hours one way! Intrigued, they sat entranced as I cued up the Smart TV and we began our social studies lesson on gratitude through the documentary On The Way To School.  In addition to gratitude, I hope my children will be inspired by the strength, courage and determination of the children in the film.  Through it all, they had joy!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome. We can watch this tomorrow. I have an appreciation for Netflix - Magic School Bus science has been my go to this year. Some days it's way better than nothing. But nothing is ever nothing in this house! I always wanted to exchange lists of viewed and approved Netflix movies. It's like a global classroom. Our most recent history lesson Came from The Pistol. This was a thought provoking and inspiring movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Watched it yesterday, and kids loved it. You give the best recommendations. I follow everything you do with the boys.

    ReplyDelete