Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Homeschooling an Artist




So I had my lesson plans all set for the day.  KingMan was sitting quietly at the table completing homework for a class when LionHeart announced, "I need to make some art."  Huh? I'm thinking you've got math, reading and spelling to do.  I was about to lay down the iron fist when spirit said to me, "Step back and watch to see where this goes."  So I paused and sat down to write this post.  I figured by the time I was done, he would be done too.

Here's the finished work.



 "Guess what it is!" LionHeart exclaimed.  He gave us a hint.  It starts with an "M."  KingMan and I had no idea.  Masterpiece? Nope. Music? Nope.  "It's a map mommie!" LionHeart rejoiced! Then he ran to get the Peters Projection Map to show me how the pink in his art correlated with the pink of Asia and that the black was Africa. Wow! I'm glad I went with it. LionHeart had just finished completing a part of his homework for his African drumming class.  He had to draw and color the 13 flags of West Africa.  I guess that was his inspiration.







I didn't even get upset about the paint he spilled on the map as he illustrated the connections between the colors on the map and his masterpiece.




Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  I can only imagine the trouble he would get into in school for sitting backwards in the chair, despite how much "better" it feels. Ahh...the freedom of homeschooling.


2 comments: