Sunday, May 11, 2014

My First Mother's Day As a Widow

KingMan, my oldest son.


Today was our first Mother's Day without my husband, their father.  He made Mother's Day special.  He would always start the day with a card.  He took pride in finding just the right card, to convey just the right sentiment.  The card was always followed by breakfast in bed.  The children loved to help Daddy make breakfast for Mommy.  Last night when I mentioned to KingMan that Mother's Day was on Sunday, he looked at me with panic in his eyes.  I knew he had forgotten.  My husband was not around to remind him, and I knew he felt bad about it.  So I came up with a plan to get something for Mother's Day that was just as valuable as any gift.  I told my sons what I wanted for Mother's Day was breakfast in bed, including my favorite smoothie, and a clean house.  Both boys lit up with excitement because they thought it was an easy task to make Mommy happy.  Before breakfast there were dishes to wash.  After breakfast there were dishes to wash.  The kitchen floor had to be scrubbed.  Then dishes had to be washed again after lunch and dinner, which they were responsible for preparing.  Did I mention the laundry?


LionHeart, my youngest son.

When I explained to LionHeart all the steps required for cleaning the bathroom, he complained that "it would take too long."  Nevertheless, he kept his word and pressed on.  He enjoyed mopping the floor the most.  Once he was done, LionHeart looked up at me beaming with pride and said, "that didn't take so long."  At about 11:30 p.m., KingMan dragged the last few bags of laundry in the house with a big sigh.  "I am taking a shower and going to bed," he said, obviously exhausted.  I was pleased and my sons were happy to be able to give me what I wanted.  But they also made an important observation - Mommy has a lot of work to do!  Their father would be proud.


2 comments:

  1. You are such a wonderful inspiration to all of us.
    Love, Sarah and Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica, your boys are such the prime example of you and Eric ' s life, love and , teachings, WE are all proud of. Much Luv.

    ReplyDelete